Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Knitting a Vase

I had this idea to knit a vase, obviously not one that you'd put fresh flowers with water in. It is art. It is a sculpture done in yarn. I thought there would be more patterns out there with all the excitment over fulling knits, but I didn't find any that I thought suited this project. So I bought some wool yarn, made my swatch (I needed to know how much it would shrink) and then started knitting.

The swatch shrunk about 1/4 in horizonataly and 1/2 in vertically for a 2 in section. If you can see the pink thread in the picture, they started 2 in apart.


Here it is on the needles. I added some stripes where I felt like it. :p

I really like magic loop. It's great for something that changes diameter like this.



Here it is in all its floppiness waiting to be fulled in the wash. I hope I like how it turns out. I have more ideas for unexpected knit sculptures.

No comments:

Etsy Mini - See Items in My Shop