Wednesday, June 10, 2015

I Ran A Marathon



I ran the Bayshore Marathon in Traverse City on May 23rd, 2015!
It's been a journey.  I remember thinking that running a marathon was something I just couldn't do.  When I started running, I couldn't make it to the end of the block.  Each time I ran I tried to go a little bit further, one more house.  Once you get to two miles adding more distance becomes easier.
Yes, this marathon was hard, and I have room for improvement, but that first 5k is still the hardest race I've done.
Why do they start races so early?  With a 7:15 start time, getting the kiddo up and out wasn't the most fun, but we did it.  She and my husband saw me off at the start.  I tried to keep an even pace around 10:30 min per mile.  Things started off great.  It was a beautiful day, sunny and chillier than I liked, but it warmed up.  I snacked on dates that I brought and a few chews they handed out.  I avoided the caramel GU as that did NOT agree with me in my half marathon.  Maybe I ate too much of their handouts.  I felt like I had plenty of energy the whole race, even a bit of a sugar high.
Things were going well, I chatted with a few people as I went.  I looked for friends as I approached the half way turn around.  It is such a great feeling when people cheer you on specifically!  Thank you!

Here I am somewhere around mile 9, before I saw the camera.

Around mile 20 I really started feeling it in my legs and feet.  After another mile I had to take more walk breaks.  That last 6 miles was really hard.
I have to say, the other runners were great.  I love how people encourage each other and look out for each other.  I must have looked pretty beat up.  People offered me extra water.  The people around me that went ahead when I slowed way down cheered as I approached the finish line.  I had a lot of fun even though I could barely walk afterward.  Now I have a new PR that I look forward to crushing.


No comments:

Etsy Mini - See Items in My Shop